Re: [GIT PULL 1/7] soc/tegra: Changes for v5.20-rc1

On Fri, Jul 8, 2022 at 8:56 PM Thierry Reding <thierry.reding@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>   git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/tegra/linux.git tags/tegra-for-5.20-soc
> soc/tegra: Changes for v5.20-rc1
>
> The bulk of these changes is the new CBB driver which is used to provide
> (a lot of) information about SErrors when things go wrong, instead of
> the kernel just crashing or hanging.
>
> In addition more SoC information is exposed to sysfs and various minor
> issues are fixed.

Hi Thierry,

I fear I'm going to skip this for the current merge window. It looks like
the CBB driver you add here would fit into the existing drivers/edac/
subsystem, or at the minimum should have been reviewed by the
corresponding maintainers (added to Cc)  to decide whether it goes
there or not.

I had not previously seen this driver, but I'll let them have a look first.

For the other patches, I found two more problems:

> Bitan Biswas (1):
>       soc/tegra: fuse: Expose Tegra production status

Please don't just add random attributes in the soc device infrastructure.
This one has a completely generic name but a SoC specific
meaning, and it lacks a description in Documentation/ABI.
Not sure what the right ABI is here, but this is something that needs
to be discussed more broadly when you send a new version.

I see there are already some custom attributes in the same device,
we should probably not have added those either, but I suppose
we are stuck with those, so please add the missing documentation.

> YueHaibing (1):
>      soc/tegra: fuse: Add missing DMADEVICES dependency

This one fixes the warning the wrong way: we don't 'select' random
drivers from other subsystems, and selecting the entire
subsystem makes it worse. Just drop the 'select' here and
enable the drivers in the defconfig.

         Arnd