Re: [RFC 0/2] iommu: arm-smmu: Add support for early direct mappings

Hello,

On 28.02.2020 04:57, Bjorn Andersson wrote:
On Mon 09 Dec 07:07 PST 2019, Thierry Reding wrote:

From: Thierry Reding <treding@xxxxxxxxxx>

Sorry for the slow response on this, finally got the time to go through
this in detail and try it out on some Qualcomm boards.

On some platforms, the firmware will setup hardware to read from a given
region of memory. One such example is a display controller that is
scanning out a splash screen from physical memory.

This particular use case is the one that we need to figure out for
Qualcomm devices as well; on some devices it's a simple splash screen
(that on many devices can be disabled), but for others we have EFIFB
on the display and no (sane) means to disable this.

During Linux' boot process, the ARM SMMU will configure all contexts to
fault by default. This means that memory accesses that happen by an SMMU
master before its driver has had a chance to properly set up the IOMMU
will cause a fault. This is especially annoying for something like the
display controller scanning out a splash screen because the faults will
result in the display controller getting bogus data (all-ones on Tegra)
and since it repeatedly scans that framebuffer, it will keep triggering
such faults and spam the boot log with them.

As my proposed patches indicated, the Qualcomm platform boots with
stream mapping setup for the hardware used by the bootloader, but
relying on the associated context banks not being enabled.

USFCFG in SCR0 is set and any faults resulting of this will trap into
secure world and the device will be reset.

In order to work around such problems, scan the device tree for IOMMU
masters and set up a special identity domain that will map 1:1 all of
the reserved regions associated with them. This happens before the SMMU
is enabled, so that the mappings are already set up before translations
begin.

One thing that was pointed out earlier, and which I don't have a good
idea on how to solve it, is that the early identity domain is not
discarded. The assumption is that the standard direct mappings code of
the IOMMU framework will replace the early identity domain once devices
are properly attached to domains, but we don't have a good point in time
when it would be safe to remove the early identity domain.

One option that I can think of would be to create an early identity
domain for each master and inherit it when that master is attached to
the domain later on, but that seems rather complicated from an book-
keeping point of view and tricky because we need to be careful not to
map regions twice, etc.

The one concern I ran into with this approach (after resolving below
issues) is that when the display driver probes a new domain will be
created automatically and I get a stream of "Unhandled context fault" in
the log until the driver has mapped the framebuffer in the newly
allocated context.

This is normally not a problem, as we seem to be able to do this
initialization in a few frames, but for the cases where the display
driver probe defer this is a problem.

Also gave this a go on one of NXP's layerscape platforms, and encountered the same issue. However, given that in our case it's not about a framebuffer device but a firmware, it cause it to crash. :-(

Another apparent problem is that in the current implementation only one memory-region per device is supported. Actually it appears that this is a limitation of the DT reservation binding - it doesn't seem to allow specifying multiple regions per device. In our firmware case we would need support for multiple reserved regions (FW memory, FW i/o registers a.s.o).

---
Best Regards, Laurentiu