Re: [RFC 0/2] iommu: arm-smmu: Add support for early direct mappings

On Mon 13 Jan 14:01 PST 2020, Saravana Kannan wrote:

> I added everyone from the other thread, but somehow managed to miss
> the Bjorn who sent the emails! Fixing that now.

Thanks for looping me in Saravana.

> On Mon, Jan 13, 2020 at 6:07 AM Thierry Reding <thierry.reding@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, Jan 10, 2020 at 08:56:39PM -0800, Saravana Kannan wrote:
[..]
> > In the case where you're trying to inherit the bootloader configuration
> > of the SMMU, how do you solve the problem of passing the page tables to
> > the kernel? You must have some way of reserving that memory in order to
> > prevent the kernel from reusing it.
>
> Maybe "inherit" makes it sound a lot more complicated than it is?
> Bjorn will know the details of what the bootloader sets up. But
> AFAICT, it looks like a simple "bypass"/identity mapping too. I don't
> think it actually sets up page tables.

In the Qualcomm case we have a number of stream mappings installed when
the bootloader jumps to the OS, each one with SMR/S2CR referring to a CB
with SMMU_CBn_SCTLR.M not set.

As such the relevant hardware is able to access (without translation)
DDR even with SMMU_CR0.USFCFG being set.

The one case where this causes issues is that upon attaching a device to
a context we'll set SMMU_CBn_SCTLR.M, so until we actually have a
translation installed we do get faults - the difference is that these
are not picked up as fatal faults by the secure firmware, so they are
simply reported in Linux.

[..]

> > > Good foresight. As [1] shows, identity mapping doesn't solve it in a
> > > generic way.
> >
> > I think your [1] is a special case of identity mappings where the
> > mappings are already active. If you pass the information about the
> > mappings via memory-region properties, then you should be able to
> > reconstruct the identity mapping in the kernel before switching the
> > SMMU over to the new mapping for a seamless transition.
>
> Ok, makes sense. But I don't have the full details here. So I'll let
> Bjorn comment here.

It might be possible that we can install page tables and setup 1:1
mappings for the necessary resources, but it's not all devices with a
memory-region and a iommu context defined that should have this.

I will have to discuss this in more detail with the Qualcomm engineers.

PS. One detail that I did notice while distilling the downstream patches
is that unused mappings must have SMMU_S2CRx.CBNDX = 255 or I get odd
crashes when the display (CBNDX = 0) is active. I've yet to conclude
why this is.

Regards,
Bjorn