Re: 3.8 config file for CARMA card

On 04/03/2013 09:00 PM, Spencer Cheng wrote:
> Hi Stephen,
>
> On Apr 3, 2013, at 17:35, Stephen Warren <swarren@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Spencer, which 3.8 kernel are you attempting to use?
>>

> It was the stable 3.8 kernel at the time, perhaps 3.8.2.
>
>> As Peter mentioned, we don't support CARMA upstream at the moment.
>> However, in theory, you should simply need to write a device tree file
>> to enable the upstream kernel to boot on CARMA.
>
> Is there a HowTo on writing the device tree file?

I don't think there's an explicit HowTo.

To get a general idea of DT content, I would start by simply reading the
existing Tegra device trees in the upstream kernel. It's probably best
to take a look at the Tegra-specific tree so you see the very latest
changes:

git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/swarren/linux-tegra.git
branch for-next
files arch/arm/boot/dts/tegra*.dts*
directory Documentation/devicetree/bindings/

As far as general DT background information, you could look at the
following links, which I cribbed from our internal wiki:

http://devicetree.org/Main_Page (many other links are on this page).

http://devicetree.org/Device_Tree_Usage (general DT structure for a board)

http://devicetree.org/MPC5200:PCI (some background info re: PCI
bindings; I have no idea how correct/applicable this is, but it should
aid understanding at least)

http://elinux.org/images/1/14/Glikely--device-tree.pdf

http://elinux.org/Device_Trees

http://wiki.freebsd.org/FlattenedDeviceTree