Re: xf86-video-tegra or xf86-video-modesetting?

On 11/24/2012 01:09 PM, Thierry Reding wrote:
Hi,

With tegra-drm going into Linux 3.8 and NVIDIA posting initial patches
for 2D acceleration on top of it, I've been looking at the various ways
how this can best be leveraged.

The most obvious choice would be to start work on an xf86-video-tegra
driver that uses the code currently in the works to implement the EXA
callbacks that allow some of the rendering to be offloaded to the GPU.
The way I would go about this is to fork xf86-video-modesetting, do some
rebranding and add the various bits required to offload rendering.

From a purely logistical standpoint, if you do choose to create a fork, calling it xf86-video-tegra might be a problem since there's already an existing tegra_drv.so.

You could probably graft tegradrm support onto xf86-video-nv pretty easily, if you want to reuse an existing driver package.

-- Aaron