Re: NVFlash hangs when flashing U-Boot on Tegra2 board

Hi Nuno,

On Mon 23 Jul 2012 05:45:09 PM JST, Nuno Santos wrote:
Hi

I have a Tegra2 based board (Harmony) running Linux. It is currently booting
using the fastboot.bin bootloader shipped with NVIDIA's SDK Developer Kit, but
I need to replace it for U-Boot, because U-Boot is open source.

So far I've been able to successfully deploy U-Boot on the device using nvflash
and U-Boot actually runs. However, nvflash hangs waiting for the bootloader to
finish initializing and therefore flashing won't happen. Apparently nvflash is
expecting the bootloader to follow some protocol, which U-Boot apparently
is not aware of.

I'd really appreciate any help on this and I'm sorry in advance if this is not
the right forum to publish this question. It has been really hard to find
information on the web about this. Furthermore, I haven't been able to find
nvflash source code anywhere, which could help tremendously to investigate
what's going on; if at least someone could point me to where I can download
I'd be deeply grateful.

So, this is what I'm using to flash the bootloader:

sudo ./nvflash --bct flash.bct --setbct --configfile flash.cfg --create
     --bl u-boot-dtb.bin --go

If I understand correctly, you are giving the wrong parameter to --bl. --bl is the bootloader that is used to interpret the commands sent by nvflash and create the layout described in flash.cfg. Therefore you want to use the bootloader that is provided in your BSP as argument to --bl, and modify flash.cfg to write u-boot to the right partition of your flash memory. Then I guess you will have the expected result.

With your current command you are indeed running U-boot from nvflash, but it is never written to flash memory and cannot understand the commands that nvflash tries to send it.

Hope this helps,
Alex.