Re: [RFC 0/4] Add NVIDIA Tegra DRM support

On Thu, Apr 19, 2012 at 6:35 PM, Thierry Reding
<thierry.reding@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Before posting the next round of patches I wanted to clarify whether we need
> to take the Tegra driver through staging. Lucas brought this up referring to
> previous experience with Nouveau where Linus used to complain that userspace
> ABI was broken for non-staging drivers. I don't know how relevant that is
> for Tegra. We could also keep it in drivers/gpu/drm and only add userspace
> interfaces that we are sure are not going to change. Currently there isn't
> isn't anything that could be easily broken as only some of the standard DRM
> interfaces are supported anyway.
>
> Alternatively we could keep the driver in a separate tree until it becomes
> mature enough.
>
> Any thoughts?

It's probably okay to avoid staging if it doesn't add any userspace ioctls.

A KMS driver that just supports the dumb ioctls so -modesetting works,
would be the first thing to aim for I suppose, like how the exynos
guys did it.

Adding userspace interfaces is where you'll get into ABI guarantees
etc, and these are normally required only for the accel engines.

Dave.