Re: [RFC 4/4] drm: Add NVIDIA Tegra support

On 04/11/2012 05:48 AM, Daniel Vetter wrote:
On Wed, Apr 11, 2012 at 02:10:30PM +0200, Thierry Reding wrote:
This commit adds a very basic DRM driver for NVIDIA Tegra SoCs. It
currently has rudimentary GEM support and can run a console on the
framebuffer as well as X using the xf86-video-modesetting driver.
Only the RGB output is supported. Quite a lot of things still need
to be worked out and there is a lot of room for cleanup.

Indeed, after a quick look there are tons of functions that are just stubs
;-) One thing I wonder though is why you directly use the iommu api and
not wrap it up into dma_map? Is arm infrastructure just not there yet or
do you plan to tightly integrate the tegra drm with the iommu (e.g. for
process space switching or similarly funky stuff)?

Yours, Daniel

An abstraction to access iommu is preferable since Tegra2 and Tegra3 are quite a bit different when it comes to iommu.

But so far I'm pretty pleased with the driver Thierry has done. I'm hoping we can start using this as a base instead of the fb based driver that never made it upstream. (even if I have had a bit of a debate about GEM v. TTM v. ION v. ...)

- Jon