Re: Please cherry-pick some regulator changes required for Seaboard

On Thu, Dec 02, 2010 at 08:38:28AM -0800, Stephen Warren wrote:

> Sorry, I thought git would make this magically work, and just drop the
> identical change when pushing changes from linux-tegra-2.6.36.

It'll probably cope fine with the merge but it'll mean you get two
copies of everything in the logs and the pull request will show stuff
for things that you'd not expect to appear in the Tegra tree which
raises eyebrows.

> Equally, I was under the impression that patches should initially be sent
> Where MAINTAINERS indicates, then pulled back to lower trees as needed.

This mostly happens via Linus - subsystem trees are merged by Linus and
are either based off his tree or have his tree merged back into them.
Cross subsystem merges are relatively rare and are generally done with
actual merges rather than with cherry picks.

> Finally, I though linux-tegra-2.6.36 wasn't itself destined for upstream
> directly; instead, isn't the for-next or tegra/for-next the branch
> destined for upstream?

Like I say, if this isn't for a branch destined for mainline it's not a
problem.