Re: read only access on 1 LUN for multiple initiators

On 28.02.2010 20:55, Pasi Kärkkäinen wrote:
On Sat, Feb 27, 2010 at 12:20:21AM +0200, Kapetanakis Giannis wrote:
Hi,

This probably have been brought up before, but I couldn't find any info.

I'd like to setup multiple initiators (web/ftp cluster) to access
read-only the same iscsi target.
I would prefer to do this without cluster fs (ie GFS) if possible.
However I want to have right access on the target server locally.

This will be difficult. Normal filesystems (ext2, ext3, ext4, xfs, etc)
are designed to be in use only on one node, so they don't have cluster-aware
locking, cache flushing etc..

Each server (initiator) will have its own linux kernel cache, so I bet
your setup won't work very easily.. unless there's some way to completely
disable all caching in the initiator kernels.

Basicly the problem is the initiators are not aware of the changes made
to the filesystem, since the changes are made on other systems.

Exactly this is what happens.

You can workaround this by dropping caches on all sides:

echo 3 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches

But generally, this is not recommended - use a distributed filesystem like GFS, or NFS, or glusterfs instead.

--
Tomasz Chmielewski
http://wpkg.org