Re: [RFC] staging: ks7010: How to proceed with Spectec SDW-823 microSD driver

Hi Philipp,

> In the first commit description you stated that you have not been able to
> connect to a WPA-protected network. Did you manage to connect to a
> WPA-protected network at a later time? Have you done any tests with this
> hardware in the years up to today?

I was about to say I never connected to a WPA-network, but my
documentation says I actually did. Good documentation :)

https://elinux.org/Tests:SDIO-KS7010

About testing, when the first set of staging-cleanup patches came in, I
actually tested them. But after some weeks, I stopped doing that because
the amount of patches was just too high and the developers mostly too
inexperienced to understand potential side-effects of their changes. I
didn't have the bandwidth to educate them.

> I am asking because I tried to find a test device to test it. That is
> difficult in 2024.

I still have one or two cards. You could have one if you want. That
doesn't change the whole situation, of course.

> Do you think the driver can be removed or should it stay in the mainline
> kernel?

Frankly, I think it can be removed. When I upstreamed the code, it
served two purposes:

a) I needed to test SDIO communication on my back then recent boards.
   That worked, but I have other hardware now with SDIO on board.

b) there were different versions of KS7010 drivers floating on the net.
   I combined them into one and made sure it was easy to compile with
   upstream Linux. We have that definitive version in the history now.

As both purposes are fulfilled, I don't think we need to maintain this
code anymore. I couldn't imagine someone wants to convert it from WEXT
to cfg80211/nl80211 which would be needed for mainline.

Thanks and happy hacking,

   Wolfram

[Index of Archives]     [Linux Driver Development]     [Linux Driver Backports]     [DMA Engine]     [Linux GPIO]     [Linux SPI]     [Video for Linux]     [Linux USB Devel]     [Linux Coverity]     [Linux Audio Users]     [Linux Kernel]     [Linux SCSI]     [Yosemite Backpacking]