About improving the qlge Ethernet driver by following drivers/staging/qlge/TODO

Hi Benjamin,

As you have known, I'm working on improving drivers/staging/qlge. I'm
not sure if I correctly understand some TODO items. Since you wrote the TODO list, could you explain some of the items or comment on the
corresponding fix for me?

* while in that area, using two 8k buffers to store one 9k frame is a poor
  choice of buffer size.

Currently, LARGE_BUFFER_MAX_SIZE is defined as 8192. How about we simply
changing LARGE_BUFFER_MAX_SIZE to 4096? This is what drivers/net/ethernet/intel/e1000 does for jumbo frame right now.

* in the "chain of large buffers" case, the driver uses an skb allocated with
  head room but only puts data in the frags.

Do you suggest implementing the copybreak feature which exists for e1000 for this driver, i.e., allocing a sk_buff and coping the header buffer into it?

* fix weird line wrapping (all over, ex. the ql_set_routing_reg() calls in
  qlge_set_multicast_list()).

This issue of weird line wrapping is supposed to be all over. But I can
only find the ql_set_routing_reg() calls in qlge_set_multicast_list have
this problem,

			if (qlge_set_routing_reg
			    (qdev, RT_IDX_PROMISCUOUS_SLOT, RT_IDX_VALID, 1)) {

I can't find other places where functions calls put square and arguments
in the new line. Could you give more hints?

Thanks!

--
Best regards,
Coiby

[Index of Archives]     [Linux Driver Development]     [Linux Driver Backports]     [DMA Engine]     [Linux GPIO]     [Linux SPI]     [Video for Linux]     [Linux USB Devel]     [Linux Coverity]     [Linux Audio Users]     [Linux Kernel]     [Linux SCSI]     [Yosemite Backpacking]