Re: [BUG] Rockchip SPI: Runtime PM usage count underflow!

On 2024-08-18 20:55, Vicente Bergas wrote:
On Sun, Aug 18, 2024 at 8:26 PM Dragan Simic <dsimic@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 2024-08-18 20:13, Vicente Bergas wrote:
> i am a user of the CONFIG_SPI_SPIDEV device.
> It stopped working between 6.8 and 6.10.5.
> The SPI bus itself reports no errors to userspace, but no devices
> appear connected to the bus.
> The platform used is RK3328.
> The only spi-related message in dmesg is:
> rockchip-spi ff190000.spi: Runtime PM usage count underflow!

I'm working on a related patch.  Could you, please, describe your
use case for the spidev driver, i.e. what board are you using it on,
and for what purpose?

The board is ROCK64 and the purpose is to update all the software that
board runs, which is stored on the SPI NOR flash onboard.

So, if I got it right, you boot your Rock64 from the SPI chip that
contains all the software it runs, but you also boot Linux on it from
a microSD card, to update the contents of the SPI chip?  I'm guessing
it that way, because the size of an SPI chip is hardly large enough
for storing even an extremely size-optimized Linux system.

Anyway, I wonder why do you have to use the spidev driver for that
purpose?  Why can't you use 'compatible = "jedec,spi-nor";' to access
the SPI chip through /dev/mtd0 under Linux?

I have not tested this kernel version on RK3399, but it may also
affect that other use case:
https://gitlab.com/vicencb/kevinboot

N.B.: My name is Vicente.

Oh, I'm sorry for mistyping your first name.  Should've copy & pasted
it instead, to prevent such typing mistakes.

[Index of Archives]     [Linux Kernel]     [Linux ARM (vger)]     [Linux ARM MSM]     [Linux Omap]     [Linux Arm]     [Linux Tegra]     [Fedora ARM]     [Linux for Samsung SOC]     [eCos]     [Linux Fastboot]     [Gcc Help]     [Git]     [DCCP]     [IETF Announce]     [Security]     [Linux MIPS]     [Yosemite Campsites]