Re: [RFC] A new SPI API for fast, low-latency regmap peripheral access

On Tue, 17 May 2022 14:43:59 +0100
Mark Brown <broonie@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue, May 17, 2022 at 03:09:06PM +0200, David Jander wrote:
> > Mark Brown <broonie@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > I do worry about how this might perform under different loads where
> > > there are things coming in from more than one thread.
>
> > I understand your concern. The biggest issue is probably the fact that client
> > drivers can claim exclusive access to the bus this way, and who knows if they
> > take care to not claim it for too long?
>
> Yes, claiming the bus for a long time.
>
> > In the end, if multiple latency-sensitive client drivers share the same SPI
> > bus, besides this being a questionable HW design, this will be asking for
> > trouble. But I agree that usage of spi_bus_lock() by client drivers is
> > probably not a good idea.
>
> I think the worst case would be mixing latency sensitive and throughput
> sensitive devices, or possibly tasks on a device.  As you say there's an
> element of system design here.

Sure. I have combined NOR-flash chips on the same SPI bus with an MCP2515 CAN
controller in the past. But I knew that the NOR-flash chip would only ever be
accessed during a firmware update or from the bootloader. Never together with
CAN communication. If I did, I would have lost CAN messages guaranteed. So
you can have compromises. I (as HW designer) in this case would never expect
the kernel to try to make this work concurrently, and IMHO we (as
kernel developers) shouldn't try in such extreme cases either.

> > > Roughly 1, but with a lot of overlap with option 3.  I'm unclear what
> > > you mean by "queue message" here.
> >
> > In the above, I meant:
>
> >  "queue message":
> > 	list_add_tail(&msg->queue, &ctlr->queue);
> > 	kthread_queue_work(ctlr->kworker, &ctlr->pump_messages);
>
> OK, no - I'm proposing actually putting the message onto the hardware
> from interrupt context.

Nice! I like that idea. Do you want to somehow extend spi_async() to do this
transparently? So we just need to introduce a second function
("spi_async_await()" ?) which would wait for completion and collect the RX
buffer?

> > > Yes, that's the whole point.  This also flows nicely when you've got a
> > > queue since you can restart the hardware from the interrupt context
> > > without waiting to complete the transfer that just finished.
>
> > Ack. Only caveat I see is the requirement for CS to be settable in a
> > non-sleepable context. Not all GPIO pins have gpiod_set_value(). Some might
> > only have gpiod_set_value_cansleep(). Although the latter case is not a good
> > choice for a CS signal, so I doubt it can be found in the wild.
> > Example: I2C GPIO expanders. In such a (very unlikely) case, the spi subsystem
> > would need to fall back to the worker-queue, so probably not a big deal.
>
> Yes, there's a bunch of things where we have to fall back on a queue.
> There's fully bitbanged controllers, excessively large messages or delay
> requirements, clock reprogramming and other things.

I like it. Thanks for the discussions so far.

To sum up all possible patches you would accept if I understood correctly:

 1. Make the stats/accounting code be NOP with a sysfs or similar toggle.

 2. Enable the re-use of messages with once in lifetime prepare/map/validate.

 3. Introduce spi_async_await() (or similar), to wait for completion of an
 async message.

 4. Enable SPI drivers to tell the core (spi.c) under which conditions it can
 fire a message asynchronously without the need for the worker queue and
 implement support for those cases. Conditions involve max. transfer size, CS
 non-sleep access, etc... but it should probably be up to the SPI driver to
 decide I guess (ctlr->can_send_uninterruptible(msg)).

Do I miss something?

Minor concern about 4. above: Hopefully the decision can be made very quickly
(i.e. without trying and failing). Maybe this decision result can be cached in
the struct spi_message, so it can be re-used (see point 2)? Maybe as part of
prepare or validate?

I feel confident that these 4 modifications will have enough of a performance
impact if fully exploited by the MCP2518FD driver, that overhead will no
longer be a concern.

Best regards,

--
David Jander

[Index of Archives]     [Linux Kernel]     [Linux ARM (vger)]     [Linux ARM MSM]     [Linux Omap]     [Linux Arm]     [Linux Tegra]     [Fedora ARM]     [Linux for Samsung SOC]     [eCos]     [Linux Fastboot]     [Gcc Help]     [Git]     [DCCP]     [IETF Announce]     [Security]     [Linux MIPS]     [Yosemite Campsites]