Re: spi enumeration process

On 10/22/21 10:40 AM, Henk Medenblik wrote:
Hi Lars,

I don't think that the issue is here the two MODULE_DEVICE_TABLE modaliases in my ltc6951 driver. I have them both for the spi_device_id and also the of_device_id defined. And I believe that if any of them would be missing, then manual modprobe of the ltc6951 driver would fail too.

The table itself is used for the probing process. But the MODULE_DEVICE_TABLE is only used to signal userspace that this module handles the devices that are listed in the table. udev uses this information to load the driver if necessary.

Manual loading will still work without the MODULE_DEVICE_TABLE. But of course not without the table itself.

The issue is that it does not get automatically enumerated when my custom spi controller get loaded (i can see after boot that the spi controller is alive when looking into /proc/modules)

However, the spi slave device is not alive. The strange thing is that this does work if I connect the spi slave to the onboard SPI controller which resides inside the Zynq MPSoC.. (after putting the ltc slave in the tree under that controller)

Ok, that's a bit odd that it works with the MPSoC controller. What I'd do is check `/sys/bus/spi/devices/`. Your device will be there even if driver has not been loaded. And then check the `modalias` and `uevent` files of the device. Check if those files look different when using your controller vs. the MPSoC.

- Lars

Regards

Henk