Re: REGRESSION: "spi: add of_device_uevent_modalias support" and following "fix" breaks Macchiatobin

On Mon, Sep 20, 2021 at 09:41:47PM +0200, Andreas Schwab wrote:
> On Sep 20 2021, Russell King (Oracle) wrote:
>
> > Therefore, this change breaks module autoloading.
>
> Reverting this change breaks module autoloading.

No.

Module autoloading worked before. Then someone probably noticed a
problem, and thought they'd fix it by changing how the module alias
strings SPI provides are produced. In fixing it, they broke existing
setups that have worked for years.

If you think it's acceptable to break existing setups to fix a bug
you need to be reminded of Linus' rant:

  https://lkml.org/lkml/2018/8/3/621

"  Bugs happen. That's a fact of life. Arguing that "we had to break
   something because we were fixing a bug" is completely insane. We fix
   tens of bugs every single day, thinking that "fixing a bug" means
   that we can break something is simply NOT TRUE."

It seems that is exactly what has happened here: a change was
introduced to fix an apparently module autoloading bug that has
caused _another_ module autoloading bug that wasn't originally
there.

That is not fixing a bug at all.

FTTP is here! 40Mbps down 10Mbps up. Decent connectivity at last!

[Index of Archives]     [Linux Kernel]     [Linux ARM (vger)]     [Linux ARM MSM]     [Linux Omap]     [Linux Arm]     [Linux Tegra]     [Fedora ARM]     [Linux for Samsung SOC]     [eCos]     [Linux Fastboot]     [Gcc Help]     [Git]     [DCCP]     [IETF Announce]     [Security]     [Linux MIPS]     [Yosemite Campsites]