Re: State of spidev from devicetree

Hi Claus,

On Tue, Oct 1, 2019 at 11:16 PM <claus.stovgaard@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On tor, 2019-09-26 at 14:21 +0200, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
> > On Thu, Sep 26, 2019 at 12:50 PM Mark Brown <broonie@xxxxxxxxxx>
> > wrote:

> > > You should use a device tree overlay to describe whatever
> > > hardware you've instantiated on your FPGA then load the overlay
> > > along with your FPGA image.
> >
> > And after that, you can bind spidev to the device in the overlay
> > using
> > sysfs, cfr. commit 5039563e7c25eccd ("spi: Add driver_override SPI
> > device
> > attribute").
>
> I know this is a bit old, but will still thank you for the replays.
>
> Regarding overlays and binding via sysfs. I understand your answer and
> proposal for solution. Though in our situation with a very basic
> embedded system it is just extra overhead and added complexity,
> compared to just having a spidev from initial devicetree. Without
> giving anything as I see it. So would still have preferred some-kind of
> custom string in the .compatible inside spidev.

You can have a custom compatible value in DT and in spidev, cfr.
drivers/spi/spidev.c:spidev_dt_ids[].
But plain "spidev" in DT is a no-go.

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

                        Geert

                                -- Linus Torvalds

[Index of Archives]     [Linux Kernel]     [Linux ARM (vger)]     [Linux ARM MSM]     [Linux Omap]     [Linux Arm]     [Linux Tegra]     [Fedora ARM]     [Linux for Samsung SOC]     [eCos]     [Linux Fastboot]     [Gcc Help]     [Git]     [DCCP]     [IETF Announce]     [Security]     [Linux MIPS]     [Yosemite Campsites]