Re: [Question] Can of_find_spi_xx_by_node be moved out of CONFIG_OF_DYNAMIC in SPI driver

On Fri, Jul 15, 2016 at 10:03:26AM +0800, qiaozhou wrote:

> My case is like this: I got a ARM mali-video driver, which may have several
> ports/endpoints, which needs I2C/SPI interface to do some initiation. In the
> video driver, it uses device node conf to find matching ports, and calls

This sounds like a fairly standard setup, most external HDMI encoders
are I2C and SPI controlled, which already works fine as far as I'm aware.

> functions, such as of_find_video_tx_by_node -> of_find_i2c_device_by_node.
> Now the hardware changes from i2c to spi, so I wonder whether
> of_find_spi_device_by_node can be used freely. Otherwise I may need to
> modify the mali-video driver, and as it's provided to us and may get updated
> from time to time, my change may be conflicted with future versions.
> Also I didn't quite understand the way to "use a phandle to connect the two
> devices", is there any code/driver which I can take as a reference? I'll
> study it.

Off the top of my head something like the TDA998x or ADV7511 should be
worth looking at here - it just sounds like the the Mali driver may just
not be using the frameworks well, you should probably encourage people
to get it upstreamed.

[Index of Archives]     [Linux Kernel]     [Linux ARM (vger)]     [Linux ARM MSM]     [Linux Omap]     [Linux Arm]     [Linux Tegra]     [Fedora ARM]     [Linux for Samsung SOC]     [eCos]     [Linux Fastboot]     [Gcc Help]     [Git]     [DCCP]     [IETF Announce]     [Security]     [Linux MIPS]     [Yosemite Campsites]