Re: Trouble-shooting a Mute Speakup on a Raspberry Pi

Well, you don't need speech-dispatcher if you're using espeakup for
one thing.

I would check to see if speakup and speakup_soft are infact
loaded. You can find out by doing lsmod which will show you all the
loaded modules. If it is not loaded then you can load it with modprobe
speakup_soft which will load both modules.