tintin-alteraeon development branch and speakup

I am using slint 15.0rc4 with espeak-ng and the above mentioned version of
the tintin-alteraeon sound pack.
In the last two weeks while playing in the mud, I had speakup crash on me
twice.
The first time I rebooted so didn't learn as much as I did the 2nd time.
The next time I lost speakup so managed to get back to my recall and
tintin-alteraeon sounds still played but speakup did not.
I quit out of tintin-alteraeon and even after having done that, I could
not get speakup to work.  The only way speakup came back and started
talking again was after a reboot.
I did not expect this behavior so didn't run:
tt++ -G -s -r aa.tin 2>&1|tee aa.err
Had I done so it's possible what error happened might have been logged.
I'll do that next time and save the error message or messages that return
so maybe someone can get a little further with this.

Jude <jdashiel at panix dot com> "There are four boxes to be used in
defense of liberty:
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)

.