Re: Are Their BiPass KeyStrokes in Speakup?

On Mon, Sep 19, 2022 at 02:36:45PM -0700, Chime Hart wrote:
> Hi All: I think I remember in Vocal-Eyes, we could hit a control+n to send
> commands directly to a synthesizer. Does Speakup have such a way?

Yes, synth_direct. Using bash, as root:

echo "hello" >/sys/accessibility/speakup/synth_direct

should make your dectalk say hello.

> Reason I
> ask, on the DecTalk discussion list, we've been discussing my long-standing
> Speakup related sudden changes in pitch, rate, and volume. And so this
> question came up about a bipass. To continue, here are Don's comments from
> earlier today
> The problem is that we can't talk to the DECtalk without going through
> SpeakUp.  To test the condition you pose, we could tell DECtalk to use
> some other voice.  Then, after the "drop" happens, see if it has reset
> the parameters of THAT voice... or, changed to the voice that SpeakUp
> *thought* was being used.

You could rmmod speakup_dectlk, and you should be able to send
whatever you want to the dectalk using echo to the serial port. Of
course, as soon as you modprobe speakup_dectlk, speakup would set the
dectalk parameters. So, your best option seems to be to communicate to
the dectalk through synth_direct.

> We also don't know what the values are reverting to.  Or, what their
> various defaults might be (power up, nonvolatile memory, speakup settings,
> etc.)

As far as speakup settings, those should be in speakup_dectlk.c in the
speakup source.

> For an original DECtalk, we could enable logging and just look at the
> characters that were being sent to the DECtalk by SpeakUp.  If there
> are no control sequences that try to alter these settings, then we
> would KNOW that it was something that was happening inside the DECtalk
> unit.

In order to set the parameters of the unit, speakup needs to send
various control characters to the unit, and does so.

> If, on the other hand, we see some commands being sent but they are
> incorrect, then we know the problem lies in SpeakUp.

This is again in the speakup source code. Speakup doesn't do anything
that isn't in its source code.

> I don't know how to divorce the serial interface from SpeakUp so that
> we can eavesdrop on it.  There are some ways to do this but I don't
> know how they will color the results.

I'm not sure it's possible to view input/output of a line discipline
in use, which is how speakup communicates with the synthesizer.

> The better solution would be if SpeakUp had a debug mode that caused
> all output to be copied to some log file that could be analyzed after
> a "drop" was noticed.  You could then manually examine the log and
> identify whether SpeakUp was causing a parameter change or not.

Speakup is in the kernel, so no writing to log files. It should be
possible to write input/output between speakup and the synthesizer to a buffer in memory
which could be queried by a user space tool.

Greg

--
web site: http://www.gregn.net
skype: gregn1