From: "Gregory Nowak" <greg@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <speakup@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, August 25, 2022 6:58 PM
Subject: Re: hopefully some help with AntiX

On Thu, Aug 25, 2022 at 10:30:13AM +0200, Willem van der Walt wrote:
> #Allow ssh from your network
> iptables -A INPUT -p tcp -s 10.248.1.0/24 --dport 22 -m state --state
> NEW,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT
> #Allow outgoing ssh
> iptables -A INPUT -p tcp --sport 22 -j ACCEPT
> The iptables command should work as it is the basic command used by all
> firewall tools.

Not exactly, I would expect any new install these days done with
something based on debian buster to use the newer nftables:

<https://wiki.debian.org/iptables>

So replace iptables in the above with iptables-legacy. Also, you'll
want to replace 10.248.1.0/24 with whatever address range your network uses.

On Thu, Aug 25, 2022 at 05:08:06PM -0500, K0LNY_Glenn wrote:
> If pip will install speakup, what is the best order to install needed
> things, like espeak-ng, speech-dispatcher, and I don't know if alsa is
> installed either.
> audio works through pulseaudio from what I have read.
> There is audio with speaker-test.
> But neither espeak or espeak-ng and a word work.

If you have pulseaudio installed, I think your best bet is to install
speech-dispatcher-espeak-ng, espeak-ng, and speechd-up. Those should
pull in everything else you need. If you have pulseaudio installed,
you will likely have problems if you try to install espeakup (I.E. no
speech). If you can manage to get speechd-up going, you can then
resolve your ssh issues, and with ssh access transition to espeakup,
either dumping pulseaudio, or getting it to work nicely with espeakup.

On Thu, Aug 25, 2022 at 05:19:22PM -0500, K0LNY_Glenn wrote:
> well I just went ahead and tried
> sudo pip install speakup
> and got the same error as with fenrir, an environment problem.

Judging from the other messages in this thread, sounds like you will
need to first resolve that problem before you can install
anything. Getting ssh access should help with that. See if what I
posted at the beginning about iptables helps you.

As far as adding repositories, I would advise against adding the repo
for debian sid as someone else suggested. Adding the repos for buster
should be OK, but I don't know anything about the distribution you're
running, so won't fully endorse that.

Greg

--
web site: http://www.gregn.net