other screen readers, was: Re: "Accessibility in Fedora Workstation" (fwd)

On Tue, Aug 16, 2022 at 01:26:48PM -0500, John G. Heim wrote:
> I believe I was using Speakup and something
> called Nupernicus on Linux at the time.

It was actually called Gnopernicus. I recall building it from source
when Marc first released it. I remember it crashed a lot, and wasn't very
usable, but I was thrilled that I was able to use Gnome at least a
little bit, and get a feel for what it was like.

<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gnopernicus>

Since android came up in this discussion, I will point out that
talkback isn't the only screen reader option on android.

<https://blindhelp.net/software/csr>

Since google is introducing restrictions on side loaded apps in
android 13, I don't know what this means for CSR down the road.

<https://www.androidauthority.com/android-13-sideloading-apps-restrictions-3161162/>

Speaking of JAWS, there's a screen reader user tester training course
out there. The first prerequisite for that course is ... experience
with JAWS for at least three years:

<https://carroll.org/screen-reader-user-tester-training-program/>

I guess that means the cheapskates using NVDA, Narrator,
or those who don't use
windows/JAWS as their daily driver aren't worth certifying. Makes me
wonder if the VFO group had anything to do with setting up this course.

In the spirit of staying on topic, we remember android runs on the
linux kernel, yes?

Greg

--
web site: http://www.gregn.net