Re: "Accessibility in Fedora Workstation" (fwd)

Brian, this is why some people call the NFB a cult. No matter how clearly wrong it is, they never admit a mistake.

Think about what you are saying. About the time this controversy was at its height, I was volunteering teaching elderly, visually impaired people to use a computer. Imagine their reaction when I told them a screen reader for Windows would run somewhere around $1,000. Essentially, you're arguing that those elderly people should pay a $1,000 tax in a effort to keep Freedom Scientific profitable. Do you know what $1,000 means to an elderly, visually impaired person?

An effor, by the way, which was doomed to failure if it was needed at all. Free screen readers were, and still are, the wave of the future. A free screen reader for Windows was coming anyway. Linux, Mac OS, IOS, and Android all have screen readers built into the operating system. And don't say these developments could not be anticipated. I argued like a bulldog for them.

PS: VoiceOver for MacOS is absolutely not a point in your favor. First of all, people love VoiceOver for MacOS. I doubt customer satisfaction with Jaws was ever greater than that for VoiceOver. But more importantly, the mere existence of VoiceOver shows the flaw in the NFB's logic. The NFB  simply didn't have the ability to protect Jaws from competition from fre screen readers.