If I am in a ScrollBack Buffer, How do I Get out?

Hi All: While I know by rebooting, I can probably solve this, but I would rather fixit in progress. I launched vlc-and-it took over a console. In the process many consoles now have an awkward display, certainly not in sync with my current line. Whats even worse the flat-review in Speakup is 1 step behind me. When I was in youtube-viewer, it still thought I was reading a web-site. I've already tried exiting a console, as well as typing "reset" But still at times unless I hear an item live, I have no way of reviewing it. I am in Debian SID with a DecTalk U S B. Can some1 please suggest an easy way of straightening out these displays. My screen is still 180lines-by-240 columns. Thanks so much in advance
Chime