We were down but now we're back

Hi folks, a couple days ago our power went out and our main mail
machine got caught by a grub bug that has caught a fair chunk of
machines since an update back in March. Anyway it took a lot of head
scratching to figure out what the problem was once I had someone with
eyes come bye to look at the screen I keep around for iritating
situations like this.

Chris Brannon came up with a really cool way of making the system more
accessible by hand writing a grub.cfg file. His suggestion was to use
a fairly new grub feature which provides a morse code output at the
initial boot grub prompt. You have to have a pc speaker or buzzer in
your machine but I'm sure it'd be useful even to folks that don't know
code because it outputs after different events.

I include my file below so you can modify it for your own hardware. I
also thank Chris for a wonderful suggestion.

  Kirk

 ----- cut here. -----
 function load_video {
  if [ x$feature_all_video_module = xy ]; then
    insmod all_video
  else
    insmod efi_gop
    insmod efi_uga
    insmod ieee1275_fb
    insmod vbe
    insmod vga
    insmod video_bochs
    insmod video_cirrus
  fi
}

load_video
insmod morse
	insmod gzio
	insmod part_gpt
	insmod part_msdos
	insmod fat

terminal_input console
terminal_output console morse

echo 'll'
linux /vmlinuz printk.time=1 loglevel=6 root=/dev/sda1
echo 'li'
initrd /initrd.img
boot