Re: Hosting speakup on freedesktop?

I don't see an issue using github. Recently Microsoft showed interest
for Linux and open source:
They are a member of the Open Invention Network, alongside Linux
distributions including Slint :-) so they signed an agreement like
this one http://slackware.uk/slint/x86_64/slint-14.2.1/agreement.pdf
which protect all members.
Recently they did their best to protect youtube-dl from a DMCA takedown:
https://youtube-dl.org/
https://github.blog/2020-11-16-standing-up-for-developers-youtube-dl-is-back/

Additionally I prefer the interface of github over gitlab's

In the (unlikely, I think) event that github be taken down, it will still be possible to time to find another home for speakup, I think.

Just my two euro cents.

Cheers, Didier