DecTalk Settings from Within Speakup?

For maybe 16years since I purchased a DecTalk U S B, many of you know I experience frustrations many times a day as the pitch, volume, and rate drop suddenly. Well, a couple of months ago, 1 of my Linux experts had an e-mail exchange with Kirk, who mentioned something about defalt settings. Well, I looked in a copy of speakup_dectlk.c, was able to see where the rate says 180, meanwhile we set it at 229. Or the volume which I think says 60 when we set at 86. Those are just 2 examples. Only by jussling those insert functions to alter volume or pitch will put them back after a sudden drop. Some time ago we created an alias to reload this dectalk when it gets hozed. /usr/bin/sudo /sbin/modprobe -r speakup_dectlk; /usr/bin/sudo /sbin/modprobe speakup_dectlk; sudo cp /usr/local/bin/characters /sys/accessibility/speakup/i18n/ However, even altering some of those values, I would also need to know what replacement to send dectalk so it might `always respect my changes. I guess David in Canada was the last person who modified these drivers. I will be quite honest, each time I see Okash post, I become hopeful. But now with some amunision from Kirk, I hope among the movers-and-shakers, maybesome sort of fix or even better a real U S B driver can be created. I realize, I am only a user-and-not a programmer, but if I were to guess, most Speakup users are programmers. Anyway, thanks in advance, whatever any of you can do. I had even considered sending Kirk an audio file demonstrating these issues, but I haven't yet patched out of an ear-phone jack to a recorder.
Chime