Why Doesn't speakup_setlocalle Have US English?

Wow, not knowing what it was, I typed a speakup localle and only 3 choices were listed, Canadian English-and-2 in French. This mostly seems to affect typing rather than live reading, although arrowing accross a line now reads phoneticly. Then I looked in a man-page for similar command to change in Debian. It suggested
update-locale LANG=en_CA.UTF-8 LANGUAGE
But there is no such command. Thanks so much in advance for any guidance.
Chime