clarification? speakup and doubletalk serial

I would much appreciate clarification in simple terms about using speakup on
latest Debian or Devuan with a serial doubletalk.

If I upgrade to stretch from current jessie and allow the kernel to upgrade
will I get a system which will run speakup with a doubletalk serial (LT)
without having to add modules or take any other unusual steps during the
upgrade.

Of course I understand I'd have to invoke the correct doubletalk module
during the install.

I am under the impression that serial drivers are still not "stable"
and are not included with a standard installed version of speakup.

If I've got that wrong then I'll dig out my LT and perhaps be able to give
up on the ISA card.

Thanks
Tom Fowle