Speakup Pausing for Punctuation?

Well earlier this week I began noticing an obvious pausing, as if Speakup-and-this DecTalk U S B were set to sentenses instead of words? In examining the screen, looks like even though I have both punctuation settings on 0 it seems to be pausing where they exist. I also though there were toggles like in NVDA or JAWS where you can switch among charactors, words, or sentenses with an inster+v or an insert+s to turn on-and-off speech? Might their be a way to switch this off? I am in Debian
Generating /boot/initrd.img-4.19.0-2-amd64
These pauses are really anoying-and-missLeading, while you think a line is ended. Thanks so much in advance
Chime