Re: Too much of a Good Thing is Solved.

Hi, Martin:

What you describe below is today's way, afaik. There's just one thing to
add, imo ...

Should you ever find yourself needing to give root password for system
maintanance, you can still do:

mod probe speakup_soft
espeakup

Sooner or later, one is likely to need that level of access! <grin> When
this happens, I have found it best to reboot after performing system
maintanance, rather than proceed booting via Ctrl-D, as the audio
environment isn't necessarily properly configured. Just my experience.

I would also add that I'm still solidly an alsa user for my machine with
multiple sound cards. I'm perfectly happy to have pa anywhere, as long
as I can control the situation with alsa. My fundamental problem with pa
seems to be it's lack of any concept of managing at the sound card
level. I'm very much about routing various specific audio outputs to
specific cards, so that's a deal breaker for me.

Janina

martin McCormick writes:
> I thought I knew too much.  The proper systemd way to make
> speakup stop is
> sudo systemctl stop espeakup
> and it stops.  Starting it is the same command except one uses
> start and it restarts as if nothing ever happened.  I was trying
> an older command that may have worked back in the day but isn't
> necessary now.
>
> Martin

Janina Sajka

Linux Foundation Fellow