Unraid, freeNAS

I'm looking at building a network attached storage solution. In googling around, the two OS options I seem to run across most often are Unraid (payware) and freNAS (freeware.)
Does anyone have experience with installing these and getting them up and running? Once installed, all administration can be done over a webUI but I'm not sure if you can use ssh or something to run the actual install process.