DecTalk in Ubuntu?

Well, we were not successful getting the DecTalk running in Debian9, but here in Ubuntu17.10 we had luck. No glitches, however, seems slightly sluggish while reviewing line-by-line down a screen. I cannot edit any of the files in /sys/accessibility where the DecTalk files are located, says something about swop and permission denyed, even with a root password. I thought maybe I could ajust a cursor delay time. But in reality I want to run a command to increase the inflection in the DecTalk, but I cannot. If its a simple as a chmod 755 or 644 I can try those, but I would rather not ruin something before I hear from some of you here.
Thanks so much in advance
Chime