speechd-up not working on text console

Hi,

I am trying to set up speechd-up but I can't get it to emit any sound
when running from text console. It works when running from GUI
(kde plasma). To test I am running: speechd-up --probe.

When compiling speechd-up with `make all`, I got texi errors. So I just
did `make speechd-up`. Here's my setup: festival + speechd + speechd-up
+ speakup_soft. I am running it on arch linux.

Any help will be great. If there's some other mailing list such queries
should be posted to, then please suggest.

Thanks,
Okash