Re: screens and folders

On 5/4/2017 8:12 AM, Chris Zenchenko wrote:
Is there a way to review info from a long output dump without requesting it
again with a pipe to more or something similar?

Scrollback support has been discussed, but the short answer is not that I'm aware. That would be helpful. Samuel posted about this, but I think the priority is getting the current kernel patches pushed first. You could try David's Speakup mods, but I couldn't get them to compile on 4.6.4 and you would have to compile your own kernel.

Is there an easy way to change in and out of folders or access files with
long or complicated names?

I suggest a file manager. Lynx the cat has this ability, but I like Ranger. It's in Debian and most major distros. There is also ncdu. While it's actually not a file manager, it does let you change folders and perform basic tasks. There are many other options. Search the list archives for a long discussion on this. I would start with Ranger first.

Also, I assume you know about tab completion? If you enter part of a file or folder name and press Tab, your shell should either complete the name or beep, indicating there is more than one match. Pressing Tab a second time gives you the list of matches.