How to try the new versions of speakup

Hello,
I’m currently running the version of speakup which is included with arch linux.  My understanding is that the speakup  code in the kernel is different from the patches posted on the list.   How would I go about trying the fixes I have read about on this list.  Also how would I test Dave’s alternative version.
Can any of this be done without recompiling the kernel and/or kernel modules?

TIA
Chris