Re: you really do not want to upgrade to alsa-lib 1.1.2

Very likely, espeak was crashing just on console use with command line interface over here.

On Tue, 9 Aug 2016, Mike Ray wrote:

Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2016 07:12:23
From: Mike Ray <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: speakup@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: you really do not want to upgrade to alsa-lib 1.1.2

Could this be what is causing the sd_espeak module of speech-dispatcher
to regularly crash and be unloaded when using speech-dispatcher set to
'AudioOutputMethod "alsa' ?

Mike

On 09/08/2016 11:58, Chris Brannon wrote:
Kyle <kyle4jesus@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

I was ready to release TalkingArch this month, just a little
late. Looks like I may need to hold off until next month. Is this a
mostly correct assessment, or is my build from Saturday OK to continue
the testing and sign-off process? Thanks for the heads-up.

I don't know which package your Saturday build contains.
When did 1.1.2 hit [extra]?  It was probably sometime close to then.
If you've got alsa-lib 1.1.1 or older, you should be good to go.

So I've spent the best part of 3 hours tonight looking at the espeak
source.  I'm reasonably convinced there's a race condition in the audio
output code, even though it looks like plenty of care was taken to
guarantee that this couldn't happen.  Or maybe I'm seeing
things that aren't really there, and there's no race after all.
Sometimes I feel like the most phony of amateurs.
Anyway what I think happened is that a change to the alsa library has
done something to trigger a race condition that has been around for a
long time.

-- Chris

Michael A. Ray
Analyst/Programmer