speakup and frame buffer?

Does anybody know if speakup needs a frame buffer? I'm trying to get speakup working on a machine w/o a video card. It sort of works. I was taking shots at what the problem was. I installed a package named xvfb hoping to create a virtual frame buffer. That didn't work but when I uninstalled it, I got speech until I rebooted. Then no speech again. I am thinking removing the package, xvfb, recreated some frame buffer thing which lasted until I rebooted.

John G. Heim; jheim@xxxxxxxxxxxxx; sip://jheim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx