Re: GRML with SpeakUp

Just so you know ... The grml developers put those beeps in at my suggestion so blind people would know when the system is done booting and they can start typing the commands to get speech working.

On 06/17/2016 06:27 PM, Glenn wrote:
Okay, this time it worked with the second enter, but it is like a choppy and
very slow sound, quite unintelligible.
It is really quite bad, and I am used to espeak and even setting the speed
around 70, so you may know that there is something wrong here and it's not
usable.
I have the GRML 96 version, and it is running on an Intel NUC, with 8 GB of
RAM.
I burned it to an SD card.
The speech is so bad, that I cannot make any modifications unless it is a
basic CLI command.
Thanks for any more info.
Glenn
----- Original Message -----
From: "Gregory Nowak" <greg@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <speakup@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, June 17, 2016 5:59 PM
Subject: Re: GRML with SpeakUp

Since the method on starting software speech in grml has changed, and
since I have no clue what old post you're following, I'll describe the
process from the start.

1. Boot from your grml media.

2. You should hear a single beep, this is the boot menu, press enter.

3. After some time depending on the media you're booting from, you
    should hear a series of beeps, which you described as
    annoying. This is a configuration menu, just press enter to leave
    it.

4. You should now be at a root prompt. Here you can type:

modprobe speakup_soft
espeakup

If all went well, you should now get speech. Sometimes I don't get
speech when doing this. If that happens, pressing the enter key starts
things talking for me. Good luck.

Greg