Re: Question: Reading the Output of Top

On 5/7/2016 4:24 AM, Parham Doustdar wrote:
Top is unusable without such a feature, but you and other people replying to
this thread seem to be using it just fine. So, what tricks do people use in
order to memorize what column is for what value? I have this problem when
reading the output of commands like |free -m|, too.

Well, I just listen very carefully. I've not had a problem with it, but I see what you mean with top in particular. It's hard to know what's going on when you hear a bunch of numbers scrolling past. That's why I suggested parking the cursor, but that doesn't stop the output. I would suggest "top -n1" to only show the information once or increase the refresh rate as John suggests.

Regarding free memory, I cheat. You can actually do this with top and most other commands. In Linux, there is a special filesystem called /proc. It's worth exploring some time as you can learn lots of useful information. All top, ps, free and lots of other commands do is reformat the output of files under /proc to make them look nicer. I don't know what files top uses, but read the man page. For fun, try the following two commands and let us know what you think:

cat /proc/meminfo
less /proc/cpuinfo

You can do the same with the ps command. All ps does on Linux is go through /proc and print out the process names, memory and CPU usage, etc. I find ps more useful and easier though, especially when there are hundreds of running processes on most servers.