Re: Question: Reading the Output of Top

On 5/5/2016 11:59 PM, Parham Doustdar wrote:
1. There is no way of knowing the title of a column without first
   navigating to the headers. I want to be able to go to the
   next/previous column, know the title of a column, etc.

I'm sure others have good answers, but I haven't found a good solution. You can park the Speakup cursor and you can change the frequency output is updated, like every 20 seconds. You can use the review keys to read the column headers. I think there is a way to get more verbose output without the columns, but you'd have to read the man page.

2. The output keeps changing. For example, while I’m reading one line,
   its CPU usage might drop and cause it to be reordered in the list.

Try this very helpful command:

top -n1 | head