USB synths (was: serial synths in 4.X kernels)

>> Maybe my time would be better spent learning how to write
>> a linux device driver for USB.
>
> Well, the drivers do exist already. What lacks so far is the connection
> between them and the speakup.

Does speakup really have to do anything to talk to a USB synth? I've written udev rules to create device files for USB devices. When you plug in a USB device, the kernel sees it and creates a device file. You can watch the messages scroll by if you tail the syslog while plugging in the USB device. Then you can take the identification strings and write a udev rule to create another device file for that device. People do this all the time so that every time they plug their thumb drive in, it gets a name like /dev/thumb. What if I wrote a udev rule to create a /dev/speakup_ltlk and fooled speakup into thinking it had successfully loaded the speakup_ltlk module?