Re: mail server setup

For a newby, this might be a bit daunting. This is why I mentioned Zimbra http://www.zimbra.com
It does all these things and it is relatively easy to use.
It has command line tools which make the GUI control pannel unnecessary.
I guess it depends on what you are trying to accomplish and whether you are going to set it up in a commercial setting.
I personally do mail setups in both ways.
I use zimbra when I have a client that wants a proven stable easy for them to manage day-to-day operations system. I build a custom when I have either myself or a technical client that whishes to tinker under the hood a lot.
The results are similar, but the approach is different.

-- Kelly Prescott