Re: kmod-staging in Fedora 23

Hi, Zahari:

Your comments below are correct. I think the first step might be to file
a bug on the kmod-staging package with rpmfusion. I've been meaning to
do this myself, but haven't gotten around to it. So, whoever does it
first, please also respond on this list, so all of us who care can plus
one the bug and maybe get some action.

The broken package for the 4.1.4 kernel was maddening. It's as though
nobody bothered to test. I'm sure it's a simple typing error in the
source. Of course, that's old news now. We need current kernels
supported.

Janina

Zahari Yurukov writes:
> Hi,
> I'm running Fedora 23 for the last 10 days and everything looks nice,
> except the only kernel in the repositories is version 4.2.6 and
> kmod-staging is version 4.0.4 (from May 28th), i.e there is no
> combination of kernel and kmod-staging which will allow me to install
> espeakup from:
> ftp://speakupmodified.org/speakupmodified/fedora/espeakup/
> I found kmod-staging-4.1.4  from august 5th, but again - no matching kernel.
> I looked in all rpmfusion repositories, as well as the default Fedora
> one's, both development and updates.
> Do you have any idea when we could expect kmod-staging-4.2.6? I assume I
> should expect it first in rpmfusion development, then updates/testing/23
> and finaly in updates/23.
> Unless they've decided to skip 4.2 and 4.3 series, which would be a very
> bad news, cause it means it won't be coming in at least another two
> months. But isn't that the idea behind kmod-staging - to prepeir you for
> the new kernel? So there should be no skipping.
> Where could I get kernel 4.0.4 or 4.1.4 for Fedora 23?
> Also, the last espeakup rpm build is for Fedora 20 - will this work for
> Fedora 23?
> Could I add a repository for Fedora 22 and install a kernel from there?
> What will be the implecations?
> What will happen, if I install a vanilla kernel from:
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Kernel_Vanilla_Repositories Should I
> expect problems? I expect to find speakup there, right?
> Or I should compile a kernel from kernel.org? That one should be the
> last resort though.
> And if I have to use an unmodified kernel, how should I install espeakup
> then? I.e. without the rpm package, which depends on kmod-staging.
>
> Thanks,
> Zahari

Janina Sajka,	Phone:	+1.443.300.2200
			sip:janina@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx