Re: Software synth

On 12/3/2015 7:07 AM, - wrote:
I'm new to speakup.  Reading on the web speakup was originally used with a
hardware synth such as dectalk.  Is there now a software synth available?

Yes, several. As Kyle stated, ESpeak is the most popular, but there is also Festival. If you want to use something other than ESpeak, you'll need Speech Dispatcher which can be a bear to configure. Also, using the speechd-up connector apparently has more latency than espeakup. Even though most people don't seem to like the ESpeak voice quality, it remains the best free, open source software synth available. Gnuspeech is in early development, but can't talk by itself; it must first write to a .wav file.

Is there a choice of voices if a software synth exists?  Where on the web
can one read more about one if it exists?  Are there examples of voices to
hear?

As Kyle stated, espeak.sf.net is the official ESpeak homepage. I don't know if there are voice demos or not. A good way to try it without having to install and configure a Linux distro might be my BATS live test CD. BATS stands for Baechler Access Technology Services and specializes in low cost support for the beginning to intermediate Linux user. We also offer VPSs and domain registrations. Here are the download links:

32-bit: http://classicradio.us/iso/livetest32.iso
64-bit: http://classicradio.us/iso/livetest5.iso

Here are the login accounts:

Username: user
Password: user

Username: root
Password: root

Please test the CD images and let me know how they work for you or if you run into problems. They both use ESpeak with the espeakup connector. The default voice is UK English, but this is configurable. ESpeak supports many languages with various degrees of completeness.