Re: upgrade to jessie, what to backup

Are you sure about this? Having just checked a backup of /etc I made with the commands I gave:

cd /
tar cf etc.tar etc

I see that it seems to recurse into all of my subdirectories, such as /etc/dpkg.d and /etc/muttrc.d. What am I missing here? Also, the file permissions are correct. Do you mean the ACLs? If so, would they be important to preserve on a single user system? Does tar not preserve ACLs automatically? I know it has the ability to, but I don't use ACLs on the servers I administrate since I'm the only user.