Re: GRML and Speakup

Thanks for those instructions on enabling Speakup within GRML. It
definitely works. However, is there a way to turn the beep volume down
before booting? I was startled by the very loud four-beep sequence
that my laptop generated upon entering the root prompt.
Rob, you make it sound so easy. That is, building LFS with Speakup.
Are there any concrete example you may be able to give to accomplish
this. Maybe like a short summary of the commands you had to enter to
enable the staging tree driver? I must admit, I am a relative newcomer
to the Linux world, and probably the most advanced task that I've done
has been to install Arch successfully on an old computer, with the aid
of the Talking Arch image, of course. However, I want to dig deeper
into the Linux development structure so that I can start creating and
tinkering with live images with speech in mind. I've made a few useful
apps here and there for use within the console, but remastering and
such is a whole different area that I want to understand.

On 9/29/15, Rob <captinlogic@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> mike <mmstopka28@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> I have built a Linux from scratch with a debian host but never got Speakup
>>
>> to work with it. I could not find any good instructions for enabling it in
>>
>> the kernel or the best way to go about building the sound system.
> I built LFS 7.7 and have it running with both speakup and Brltty. All you
> have to do is select the staging drivers/speakup and the sound support item
> in the kernel configuration. Install alsa-stuff. Add your appropriate kernel
> modules in the appropriate files; the book tells you where to add modules,
> should you need them that aren't autoloaded by the kernel. What I then did
> was copy my voxin libs from the host into my new system, add the right init
> script to have the connector come up and bingo. I had speakup going.

Thanks for reading.
Have a good day.
If you ever get the chance, go to http://www.realrandomradio.com and
check us out.