Re: Running speakup on Ubuntu?

Hello,
service espeakup restart
worked like a charm! Now I am wondering if anyone knows how to get speakup to read the key echo characters?
thanks,

Brandon Keith Biggs <http://www.brandonkeithbiggs.com/>
On 7/31/2015 1:23 PM, Tony Baechler wrote:
I would need a lot more information before I can help you:

1. Are you running this in a VM? I just read about someone else running the daily build of the Debian Installer under VMWare who had the same issue. The system installed fine but no speech came up when booting. It could very likely have to do with the audio emulation. If possible, try with KVM or VirtualBox. Even better, try on real hardware.

2. Are you saying that Speakup doesn't work in the live CD or after the installation? I wouldn't be surprised if the live CD doesn't support it, but the installed system should work. I think I did get it to work on a live CD once a long time ago. The Super-S etc is for starting Orca, not Speakup. You ran the right commands to install it. The only other thing I would try is this:

service espeakup restart

3. What error are you getting? If it's already running and you have no sound, see #1 above. Are you using a GUI? You didn't say what version of Ubuntu you're using. There could be a conflict between Pulse and ESpeak. Try disabling Pulse. I'm not sure how to do that because I don't run it here. I would also temporarily remove the execute bit from the gdm startup script to make sure X doesn't start, just in case Orca is a problem.

chmod -x /etc/init.d/gdm*
reboot

Without more information, I can't help further.