Re: Whonix/Tails

On 7/12/2015 1:30 AM, D.J.J. Ring, Jr. wrote:
Also is there a distro where speakup continues to work when ORCA screen
reader is run in X Windows GNOME?

What exactly do you mean by this? If you mean is there a way to have Speakup talking at the same time Orca is running in an X session, such as in Gnome Terminal, the answer is no. This is because Speakup automatically goes silent when X starts if my understanding is correct. If you mean is there a way to have an X session running with Orca and a console session running on a separate TTY with Speakup, the answer is yes. For example, tty7 runs X with Orca. You press Ctrl-Alt-F1 to go to tty1 which is a text console. Speakup should be talking on tty1 while Orca should be talking in your X session. Vinux, Debian, probably Arch, etc should support this, also automatically. If that is not happening for you, we would need detailed information on what distribution you're running and what speech packages you have installed.